What to Expect
The Refinery is a diverse community of people of various ages, stages, and seasons of life. We are excited to have you join us! Here is what you can expect:
– A compelling service lasting about 1 hour
– Children & Student Ministries your family will love
– Relevant biblical teaching
– Powerful music & live worship
Attire is casual, some people wear jeans, and t-shirts, others may dress up. We want you to feel comfortable, come as you are.
Values And Beliefs
Our mission as a church is to help people love and follow Jesus for life. We do this by focusing, as a community, on three practices: Love God, Love People, Help People Love God. In setting out to accomplish anything of significance, it’s important to have markers along the way to be sure we are traveling the right direction on our journey or metrics to help us know if we’re achieving what we set out to do. With this in mind, at The Refinery we have five commitments we invite each individual to consider making themselves so that they can grow in these three practices.
We believe that what we value we commit to. As such, we invite each member of The Refinery to these commitments that can help establish a rhythm of life centered in Christ.
01 - Actively Worship
We consistently engage in worship services together and seek to put Jesus first in the rhythm of our daily lives.
02 - Cultivate the Spiritual Disciplines
Cultivating spiritual disciplines such as time in scripture, prayer, generosity, fasting, and rest are critical elements of loving and following Jesus for life.
03 - Live In Community
We are called to live in community! Real life change happens in the context of relationships.
04 - Intentionally Serve
We intentionally serve at the church, in our community, and around the world. God has shaped each of us with gifts and abilities to be used in service to others.
05 - Invest & Invite
Jesus calls Christians to “go and make disciples.” As a church, we desire that everyone would make the commitment to regularly invest in others and invite them into the story of the good news of the gospel of Jesus.
- We Believe in one God–the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We Believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living
- We Believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is continually inclined to evil.
- We Believe that those who never repent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- We Believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race, and that whoever repents and believes in the Lord Jesus Christ is justified, regenerated, and saved from the domination of sin.
- We Believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We Believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the sanctification of believers.
- We Believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
- The Refinery is a part of the Church of the Nazarene that is active all over the world. To learn more about our denomination, please check out nazarene.org.
What does it mean to be saved?
Being saved means you’ve embraced Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. That includes confessing your sins and believing that Jesus is the Son of God. It’s the grace of God that makes salvation possible through Jesus Christ.
What does it mean to repent?
Literally, repent means to turn around. When someone repents of sin, they “turn around” in their actions and attitudes. Repenting is necessary so people don’t continue to live a self-absorbed life that is consumed by their “sinful nature.” In mathematical terms repent means 180º.
What does sanctification mean?
The word sanctification means “to be set apart.” Sanctification is the act of being set apart for the work of God.
For more information on the doctrine or beliefs of our church, please read the Preamble and Articles of Faith as laid out by the Church of the Nazarene. Feel free to email the church office with your questions.
The story of our church started in faithful obedience to a God-given vision. This vision was of a church that is vitally linked to its community, shows God’s love through acts of kindness/service, and strives to demonstrate the relevance of the word of God in today’s culture.
In 2003, this vision turned into a reality as Brad Kochis and his family responded in faith to start what is now known as The Refinery Church. The church began as a small gathering of people in the Kochis’ living room while they sought the opportunity for a more permanent location. Northwest Evangelical Church, which occupied the property where The Refinery now sits, opened up their facilities to join as partners in the new work , and the two groups came together to form a new church.
Today, many more people now call The Refinery their church home, and it is a place where you can come as you are, experience God’s grace, and grow in faith.
Almost 20 years later, we still desire to be a church that helps people, from all ages and walks of life, love and follow Jesus for life. The journey of faith is a refining process, and we invite you to join us as our story continues to unfold.